Long Term Benefits of Chiropractic Care
“Surrogate indication of DNA repair in serum after long term chiropracticintervention – a retrospective study”
Campbell, C. J., Kent, C., , Banne, A., Amiri, A., & Pero, R. W. (2005). Surrogate indication ofDNA repair in serum after long term chiropractic intervention – a retrospective study. Journalof Vertebral Subluxation Research, 1-5.
To assess the effects of short-term and long term chiropractic care on serum thiol levels in asymptomatic patients. Thiols are antioxidants that help to reducing DNA damage, stimulating DNA repair and improving immune function.
This research studied the serum thiol levels, in patients with active disease and those wellness patients who had been under chiropractic care for 8-52 weeks, and patients who had been under chiropractic care for 52-312 weeks.
Results & Conclusions:
• The serum thiol levels were lowest in patients with active diseases and in the short term chiropractic care group.
• The levels were highest in the long term care group.
• Symptom free or primary wellness subjects under chiropractic care demonstrated higher mean serum thiol levels than normal wellness values.
• Patients under long term chiropractic care 52-312 weeks had higher levels of thiol which is indicative of the ability of the body to repair DNA.
• Chiropractic care helps to reduce the oxidative stress from musculoskeletal stress disorder. It takes two years of regular chiropractic care in order to successfully reverse this process and to increase the serum thiol levels.